Skip to main content
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois

Eyestone School Museum

Eyestone School Museum

The Eyestone School is a one-room, old-fashioned school house that offers wooden desks, McGuffey Readers, slates, and a coal stove.

The school, once known as the Rose Hill School, was previously located on Hovey Road. The Illinois State Alumni Association raised $10,000 to rehabilitate the school and move it to its present location. It was renamed in 1964 for Lura Eyestone, a loyal alumna and a retired member of the Thomas Metcalf School. Eyestone graduated from Illinois State Normal University in 1892 and joined the Illinois State faculty in 1903. She remained on the faculty until her retirement in 1939.

Reservations for the old-fashioned schoolhouse for special functions can be made by calling the College of Education at (309) 438-5415.


The Eyestone School Museum is located at the corner of College Avenue and Adelaide Street, by the Nelson Smith Building.

108 North Adelaide Street