The Sports Commission promotes BN as a world class sporting event destination
The Bloomington-Normal Area Sports Commission’s goal is to retain and attract international, national and regional sporting events to the BN area.
The Sports Commission also builds successful partnerships between local governments, sports entities, and sports facility owners/operators to generate sports related revenue for BN.
The Sports Commission is part of the Bloomington-Normal Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, and a member of Sports Illinois and the National Association of Sports Commissions.
To promote the Bloomington-Normal area as a world class sporting event destination and to solicit and support sports activities and events which stimulate our local economy, enhance the area’s image, provide outstanding entertainment and participatory opportunities, and contribute to our community’s quality of life.
- Retain and strengthen existing sporting events in the BN area
- Attract and develop international, national and regional events, meetings, conventions and sports-related activities through national governing bodies
- Develop the necessary economic resources and corporate support, identifying a variety of revenue streams for long range funding of the Sports Commission
- Increase tourism by promoting BN area sporting events
- Research and study the necessary infrastructure to support the efforts of the Sports Commission through city, town and county governments, athletic community, private sector and the media
- Create an ongoing communications plan which reinforces the Sports Commission’s mission
- Stimulate economic activity and enhance the quality of life in the BN area
- Inspire community teamwork, volunteerism and cohesiveness
The following events are owned and operated by the Bloomington-Normal Area Sports Commission.
- John Althoff, Past Chair, State Farm
- Tony Bauman, Athletics Director, Bloomington High School
- Leanna Bordner, Illinois State Athletics
- Ray Ceresa, Bloomington-Normal Hotel & Lodging Association
- Doug Damery, Normal Parks & Recreation Department
- Steve Newman, Bloomington-Normal Area Sports Commission
- Beth Sauser, Vice Chair Illinois High School Association
- Jay Tetzloff, Director, Bloomington Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Arts
- Jon Voegele, Chair, COUNTRY Financial
- Mike Wagner, Illinois Wesleyan Athletics
- Rich Zeller, Avanti’s Italian Restaurant
Become a Member
Becoming a member of the Sports Commission can take your organization to the next level of success. The commission can help you promote your business, and attract more customers. They can help with arranging and hosting sporting events and make sure that your venue is well used by the local community. Find out more about Sports Commission Membership.
Volunteer or intern
The Sports Commission is always looking for enthusiastic people willing to dedicate their time and skills to growing BN as a world class sporting event destination, by volunteering for our various events. We also offer Sports Marketing internships. Find out more about becoming a volunteer, or an intern.
2022 Sports Commission
2021 Sports Commission